See the work first at the ‘Los Angeles Center For Digital Art’.
Show Dates: December 12, 2019, to January 4, 2020.
Opening Reception: Saturday, December 14, 7-9 pm
- Tabula Recta (5523) C
Digital rendition of the original drawing: The Rose – Zero-Knowledge Protocol (5523) – which featured in Enclosure Fathom – Part-1 Exhibition.
- In cryptography, theTabula Recta (from Latintabularēcta) is a square table of alphabets, each row of which is made by shifting the previous one to the left. The term was invented by the German author and monk Johannes Trithemius in 1508, and used in his Trithemius cipher.
- The Trithemius cipher was published by Johannes Trithemius in his book Polygraphia, which is credited with being the first published work on cryptology.
- Trithemius used the tabula recta to define a polyalphabetic cipher, which was equivalent to Leon Battista Alberti‘s cipher disk except that the alphabets are not mixed. The tabula recta is often referred to in discussing pre-computer ciphers.
- In 1553, an important extension to Trithemius’s method was developed by Giovan Battista Bellaso called the Vigenère cipher. Bellaso added a key to switch cipher alphabets every letter. This method was misattributed to Blaise de Vigenère, who published a similar autokey cipher in 1586.
Words are just words: Alternative forms
- tabla (Vulgar or Late Latin, Appendix Probi)
- The origin is uncertain. Perhaps from Proto-Indo-European *th₂-dʰlom, from *teh₂- (“to stand”) (a variety of *steh₂- without s-mobile, whence also Latin stō, stāre (“to stand”)) + *-dʰlom (“instrumental suffix”) whence Latin -bula. The original meaning would then be “that which stands”, for which see also Latin stabulum.
- tablet, sometimes a tablet covered with wax for writing
- board or plank
- (by extension) map, painting, document or other item put onto a tablet
- The perfect passive participle of regō (“rule”). Corresponds to Proto-Indo-European*h₃reǵtós (“having moved in a straight line”), from Proto-Indo-European *h₃reǵ- (“to straighten, direct”).
Our souls fly into this world programmed into the physical body with DNA, and software ‘’Tabula Rasa’’. Meaning an ‘empty tablet’ – table – slate/ book. We are born full of potential, the pre – programmed nature versus nurture debate is ancient . The screen may look empty, but it is not.
With this work the artist questions, who holds the cipher key to our lives, the book, the recipe to decipher our coded- existence. The even greater question is; if it is a READ ONLY FILE.
- The Vigenère square – photograph credit Brandon T. Fields
Listen to this song with me – It means ‘’reach for the stars’’.
Song: Reik na die sterre
Artists: Group – Romanz
Album: My Hele Hart (Spesiale Uitgawe)
Licensed to YouTube by
Select Musiek, SME (on behalf of Select Music); LatinAutor, LatinAutor – Warner Chappell, UNIAO BRASILEIRA DE EDITORAS DE MUSICA – UBEM, Warner Chappell, and 3 Music Rights Societies.